August 30, 2011

Bacolod is the place to be!


Last March, I booked a PAL flight to Bacolod on Aug 27-29 long weekend with my HSBC colleagues.

We are all very excited to eat. Fortunately, Typhoon Mina didn't affect our flight though we are one hour delayed going to Bacolod due to Air Traffic. Still, it didn't change our itinerary.

We arrived in Bacolod around 10:30am and went to Ken's Balaring for an early lunch. The place is perfect for lunch. The menu promises a variety of dishes that will unquestionably charm seafood aficionados. The signature dishes are sizzling bangus, buttered squid and talaba. The place is a bamboo edifices that extend over the beach and above part of the ocean. You can enjoy the sea breeze like we did.






We had our dessert at Cafe 1925. A very cozy and small restaurant. The place is really small. It can only accommodate 15-25 people but the ambience is really relaxing. Their leche flan was the best!






Next stop is our Silay Tour. Silay is known as the Paris of Negros and is home to a lot of really old and well-preserved heritage houses. This is where the rich hacienderos and sugar barons used to live. We visited Bernardino Jalandoni House Museum and Balay Negrense. Entrance fee is P50 and P40 respectvely including a tour guide. The places are reminiscent of the Marcos Mansion in Ilocos.




After taking photos with the ancestral houses, we went to RUINS - the most famous landmark in Bacolod. Entrance is P40. Inside the Ruins, we can’t help not to admire its beauty though it was been burnt thrice by the USAFFE and Filipino guerillas during the Japanese regime. According to Mars, the guide who took all of our group shots, the Ruins was built by a sugar baron named Don Mariano Ledesma for his first wife, Maria Braga Lacson. The mansion was the largest residential structure ever built at that time and had in it one of the finest furniture, chinaware, and decorative items from Europe and Asia. Being the largest structure, it was said that the Japanese soldiers were planning to make Don Mariano’s mansion into their headquarters that’s why it was burnt down by the guerillas and USAFFE. It took three days before the roof and the 2 inch wooden floor got burned completely. It was abandoned for so many years until one of the great grandchildren of Don Mariano inherited the land where The Ruins sits. He then developed it, fixed the surroundings and put up a cafe where different kinds of food are being to served to the guests. Below are some of the shots taken by Mars, our guide. Since he had taken wonderful shots, we handed him a tip.






After our Silay tour, we checked-in at O-hotel were we stayed during the trip. If you are looking for a nice hotel, friendly staff, and affordable accomodation, then I recommend this hotel. If I will be back in Bacolod, I will stay here again.

We had our dinner at the famous Sharyn's Cansi House. The place is what you might call nondescript, no menu, plastic chairs and tables as well as an area of pre-cooked food available "turo-turo" (point-point) style. For P220, you can enjoy the unique tasting bulalo in town. It is so good! Cansi is the Illonggo version of nilaga (beef bone soup) and sinigang (tamarind soup). The meat and tendons is so tender. One serving is good for 2-3 persons. I could say that this is a must-try in Bacolod! If you don’t mind the cholesterol, that is.




After having our fill of cansi we headed off to try Kuppa Coffee and Tea, a local born coffee shop with more than 55 years of experience.I picked an Iced Choco Banana Latte for P85 and I was surprised at the size of the glass it was served in, for the price it was good value. It was so good I finished it in like 2 minutes haha. Kuppa also serves lots of food as well as gelato. What a great shop!






After a sumptuous day one, we head back to hotel to refresh and some of us who are not yet in sleeping mode, we went to FLOW Superclub for a night out. The club's theme is 80's. Oh cmon! Retro night! But we still partaaay! Turns out to be one of the best party even if some songs are never heard for us. Great club! For only P150 entrance (inclusive of beer and flow) we find ourselves dancing until 3am haha.


Day two starts with a buffet breakfast meal at O-hotel. Not bad for P225.

We head to Virgie's to buy our pasalubongs. They are famous for their homemade pastries and sweets products. I told myself I won't go back in Manila without the yummy caramel tart so I hoarded this along with mango and cheese tarts. Credit card payment is available here. Gosh, my bill costs more than my whole Bacolod trip expenses haha.

Pendy's Napoleones









Next stop for pasalubong is Bong-Bongs's which is famous for their piaya. Of course, I hoarded again. Just like that, I found myself holding 2 boxes already.

We had our lunch at Bob's. We tried their Giant Cheeseburger and Pasta. Very delicious! Inside Bob’s Restaurant is a bakeshop that offers breads, cakes, pastries, and gelato. This is perfect restaurant for thos who like American favorites such as steaks, burgers, hotdogs, and barbeque.





After another sumptuous meal at Bob's, we headed to Mambukal Resort which is 45-minutes away from our hotel. Entrance is P30 excluding the tip for the tour guide. Here we saw lots of bats sleeping but some are flying. We can hear their sounds. I thought bats can only be seen flying at night. Anyway, we went to see the falls by of course, trekking. I'm not prepared. But thankfully my havaianas get me though onto the 1st waterfalls. There are seven waterfalls but we thought it is enough to see the first one. Besides, they could all look the same haha. We bought refreshment in the restaurants in Mambukal. I bought P50 mango shake. Not bad.





Afterwards, we went back to eat at Calea. My friend told me not to go back to Manila until I eat Calea cakes. To taste everything by not buying all of them, we decided to buy different kinds of cakes and we share all of them. With that, we tasted the best - the mud pie! - the ice cream cake. Unfortunately, I cannot order for Manila so I just ordered those which can not easily melt. Calea offers very delicious yet affordable variety of cakes. Entering the store, we were not prepared for the visual assault on our senses by immense display of cakes. Rows and rows of cakes in two large refrigerated cases as well as more in the see thru freezer. We were hard pressed to choose among all of that so we asked the staff what they could recommend to us. So we ordered the ICC (Imported Chocolate Cake) - their bestseller, the White Chocolate Cheesecake, Blueberry Cheesecake, Cream Puff, and I'm sorry I forgot the names of the other cakes. Haha.



Frozen Cream Puffs
White Chocolate Cheesecake

Ice Cream Cake (Mudpie)

Imported Chocolate Cake

White Chocolate Cheesecake in Raspberry Sauce



After the dessert, we had our dinner. Yes, dessert before dinner. How awesome is that? haha. Dinner is at Aida's Manokan Country. Their Chicken Inasal is the best. You have to eat inasal with sinamak vinegar, soy sauce, kalamansi and sili. I'm full that that but I ate 2 sticks of Pecho with rice. Oh cmon. Their chicken is juicy and just tasty. For P65 (pecho) and P60 (paa), I can say that I tasted the best Chicken Inasal already!






So, the second day is over! But then again, we are not sleepy yet so again, together with Jojo, Tin, Trina, we headed to Flow Superclub but it unfortunately, there is an alumni event. We then asked the cab driver to take us to MO2 ICE bar. At first we are hesitant because we can hear only live band playing. We wanted DJs. But then we still entered, nothing to lose because of free entrance. The band is awesome. They played modern R&B songs and for me they could join Pilipinas Got Talent for their amazing music. Around 12midnight when the band finished playing and the DJ started playing. Wild - that is all I can say. This is really nothing compared to Manila Clubs. The people are dancing wild. A korean taking off her blouse. What a scene! And guess what, a grandmother stole the show in the ledge.





There are many koreans around. One guy actually thought I am Korean haha. I would recommend this bar to my friends though this is crowdy, the sounds are very good. We found ourselves, partying until hmmm.. morning? No sleep at all. This is the first time I experienced travelling without sleep haha.

No sleep so I just took a bath in the hotel then buffet breakfast then just like that we checked out in the hotel. We headed to an early lunch at Lord Byron's where we already reserved 2 days before coming to Bacolod. For P150, you can already taste their famous Baby Back Ribs!!! Some of us didn't even finished their meal because it is good for 2-3 persons. If only I could take it home but it is not suggested since it has sauce.






So just like that, we find ourselves full but we still got time and we need to get cake orders to Calea so we take another dessert at Calea. We stayed here for one hour taking time to chat about our near-end trip in Bacolod. So many experiences. We really enjoyed ourselves not only eating but taking time with each other. Bonding!


Take home to Manila



On the way to airport, we stopped at El ideal which is famous for their guapple pie. I'm so full I cannot get a taste of it from Mel. Haha. But it looks yummy.

El Ideal's famous Guapple Pie

Then we arrived in the airport. I have no sleep but I still find myself so energetic to make things as smooth as possible upon check-in. We are 1 hours and 30 minutes early so we find ourselves relaxing in the waiting area. There is Kuppa inside the airport so some of us bought coffee and sandwiches. As for me, I found myself being entertained by this kid name John Ray. He is just 5 years old but he is really so "bibo". Other people are actually looking at us because his voice can be heard by the whole waiting area. He is just a wonderful kid. He is bound to Nueva Ecija with his parents.


So, just like that. Our Bacolod Trip was over. It us really the City of Smiles. It is a province whose dialect is as sweet as its sugar. As expected, I enjoyed all the food, the company of friends, and the new experiences I will cherish forever.

Bacolod, I love you. I hope to see you next year.

1 comment:

Mr. Retovado said...

very well researched itinerary... and you've scored most if not all of the major points in Bacolod... glad you enjoyed my hometown

Post a Comment