August 30, 2011

Twenty Years, Two People.. One day


SPOILER ALERT!

One Day!!!

Based on the novel by David Nicholls, it is a love story surrounding two friends named Dexter and Emma. They would only meet on July 15th every year for the next 20 years. While trying to hold onto their friendship, they each go through their individual trials revolving around their families and personal lives. It becomes a hard thing for them to handle, but they try to make it work in the end.



Depressing is the one word I can describe this movie. But, nonetheless very realistic and I enjoyed it for the most part. It was literally the most emotionally draining movie I have ever seen and I was really shaken up after it. It was actually my first time to cry, chill, and feel very scared (like screaming) after watching a "chick flick" movie. I didn't read the book so I didn't expect anything. I just know that it is a love story. Oh well.

One day turns out to be a heart-wrenching (10x), beautiful, and a lovely movie. The ending.. it made me feel sad and depressed. It was a tragic and awful death scene of Emma. She gets hit by a truck and dies. I just couldn’t bear the sight of it. She flings from point A to B! With her lower leg left twisted sideways and her blood splattered all over - then it focus on Anne's face. I can imagine her thinking all the memories while her eye opened lying there. Just a shattering scene. I think I got traumatized.


Nothing will ever compare that from the previous death scenes I have seen like those of Meg Ryan in 'City of Angels' and Paul Nicholls in 'If Only'. I actually thought this movie is a typical Hollywood chick flick with a happy ending - absolutely not. I'm not prepared to feel heart broken by this film. I actually hate how it ended. However, the end gets better and leave you on a good note - to never waste a day when it comes to following your heart when it comes to love.

I love the characters - I don't care if people told me of Anne Hathaway’s terrible attempt of a British accent, but I find that she’s so lovable and likeable in this movie. She did a good job. She's also very beautiful here. Jim Sturgess is hot haha. I believed their chemistry from start to finish.




The cinematography was awesome. The production, hair and make-up, and costume design mostly do a fine job of shifting along the decades without becoming cartoonish.

There are far more reasons to see One Day, such as to revisit the emotional time period that exists for all of us, when we think we're all grown up only to realize that we are stuck in it - no longer able to do what we really, really wanted to do in life.

The story is so beautiful, timeless and tragic. It really has made me think. The movie touched upon one of my biggest fears. Which is losing someone you love. That part killed me. Also, it had the ability to make you think about where you are in life. It’s one of the only films that has made me think ‘I’m only 26!’ instead of ‘oh no I’m 26!'. It also has highlighted the importance of not wasting time. I said that it was so tragic but it wasn’t because she died, it was that she died only being with the love of her life for a couple of years instead of a lifetime. They wasted their whole life holding back their true feelings, feeling that they had all along (this fact stinks!)




What I liked about One Day was that it was a depressing movie, but you see the characters grow from it. Love is not lost. It remains forever. I think it is a story that we can all relate to in some way. Whether you relate more to Emma or Dex. Their story is so real and believable, that’s maybe why the book has been so successful because it relates to so many people in so many ways. This movie gives you hope for any relationship (damn!) haha. However, I won't watch this again - too much pain to bear.

The soundtrack was great!!! One day by Rachel Portman and Sparkling day by Elvis Costello. Just perfect.

Overall, expect a love story that you may certainly connect with, for it may show you lessons about love, and just how it works in another way. Be prepared for a story that will move your hearts. If you really miss the feeling of falling again and again, then go and watch One Day - expect a bittersweet ending, it will make you hope you have "the one" beside you to cry on haha.

One of my favorite scenes:




Here are the memorable quotes from One Day:

“Live each day as if it’s your last’, that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you simply felt a bit glandy? It just wasn’t practical. Better by far to simply try and be good and courageous and bold and to make a difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Go out there with your passion and your electric typewriter and work hard at…something. Change lives through art maybe. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance.”
— David Nicholls

“Of course there’s still no boyfriend, but she doesn’t mind. Occasionally, very occasionally, say at four o’clock in the afternoon on a wet Sunday, she feels panic-stricken and almost breathless with loneliness. Once or twice she has been known to pick up the phone to check that it isn’t broken. Sometimes she thinks how nice it would be to be woken by a call in the night: ‘get in a taxi now’ or ‘I need to see you, we need to talk’. But at the best of times she feels like a character in a Muriel Spark novel- independent, bookish, sharp-minded, secretly romantic.”
— Emma Morley

“I love you so much. So, so much, and I probably always will. I just don’t like you anymore. I’m sorry.”
— Emma Morley

“Just kidding’ was exactly what people wrote when they meant every word.”
— David Nicholls

“I’m not lonely. I’m alone.”
— Emma Morley

“If you’re my friend I should be able to talk to you but I can’t, and if I can’t talk to you, well, what is the point of you? Of us?… People change, no use getting sentimental about it. Move on, find someone else.”
— Emma Morley

No comments:

Post a Comment