July 31, 2010

Destination Hong Kong (Day 2)

It was last May 30 when I booked our family Hong Kong trip for July 20-23. Everything seems fine from the start since booking, planning our 4-days itinerary, choosing the hotel, departing from Manila, and exactly doing out first day in HK. Then came day 2 – what I fear the most in our trip happened – Signal number 3 has been hoisted in HK. One week before, I already checked the 7-day forecast of our trip and yes it has been predicted that July 20-23 has a “cloudy with few rain showers” forecast. It didn’t bother me at all because I thought that it is just “few” rain showers thinking that it is just mild. Well, it turned out to be the “Ondoy-type” of rain with super typhoon wind that will blow you away.. literally if you are like 70 pounds maybe. I put thetrip and Disneyland in our day 2 because it is the most important thing to do. Disneyland has been everyone’s dream to visit in Hong Kong. It is really not complete if this is not accomplished. We woke up early and head to Tung Chung where we can ride the Ngong Ping 360 cable car going to the Golden Buddha. Ticket booth is open by 10:00 am and we arrived by 8:00 am. This is how punctual I can really be. Actually we have a choice of going to Lantau Island by Bus that will take 45 minutes instead of using the cable car that will only take 25 minutes. We decided to wait for the cable car since it is a new experience for us except for my mom and dad. Thankfully, the Citygate mall is just beside the area so we hang out a bit inside even though the boutiques are still closed but the grocery is opened already so we took our time there. By 10am we head back to main entrance of cable car then boom! Due to signal number 1, it is temporarily closed. We decided to go to Disneyland and scrap out the Lantau Island trip because if we will take the bus going to Lantau, our time in Disneyland will be shortened. By this time, I am very anxious already if there will be fireworks in Disneyland. Then we went to Disneyland Resort even if it is signal #1. It was as if the storm is chasing us. Just upon arrival in the resort, heavy rains just poured while we are taking the picture in the main entrance. Notice the dark cloudy skies and dancing trees in the background of our picture. As we went in the ticket booth, the seller told us that all rides have been closed because the signal #3 has just been hoisted. Are you kidding me??? – That is what inside my head when I heard that. Then I stopped for a moment and went beside the booth and we had this sort of brainstorming whether we would come in even if there are no rides or will change the plan. Of course, I have my own do-it-yourself itinerary and this dummy for HK travelers. I browsed it and checked if there are other places to go near the resort. I guess not in that kind of weather, there is really nothing to do besides sleeping in the hotel and hang out in the malls nearby. But I am not convinced of that idea because I really want to explore some tourist destinations in HK. So we have no choice but to take the bus to Lantau Island. Upon arrival in Lantau, heavy rains poured and our umbrella were torn due to strong winds. We have to buy these raincoats that became our best buddy in our entire HK trip. I cannot describe the massive rain showers with strong winds but I really hate it. We took the risk of going to the Golden Buddha wherein we have to take 240 steps up stairs to see the Buddha up close. I really am afraid going up because I sort of have fear with any motion going up. My knees are trembling but step by step I finally conquered the highest point in Lantau Island. Whew. By the way, strong winds made every step up harder. They say that you have to wish in the temple so I did. We hardly took pictures there and went down to eat lunch. As we are looking for the dine in restaurant, we saw the temple inside and fix ourselves. We chat with fellow Filipino (mother and daughter) and took pictures with the Buddhist statues. Afterwards, we rode the bus back to Tung Chung where we decided to eat lunch/dinner in Citygate Mall food court. The food court is very large and it has so many choices of food that comes from different Asian countries.. Well except for the Philippines. I wonder why. I chose the Taiwan cuisine. After eating, we decided to go around the mall. I found an Ice Watch Outlet store and bought this green watch that I fell in love with. Luckily it is on 30% discount sale so I save quite money. We left Citygate around 7:30PM I think then head back to our hotel. It is rush hour in Hong Kong so we are standing in the MTR. After fixing ourselves in the hotel, I decided to go to Harbour City which is on my list of must-go-to-mall. My sister came along with me. There we saw almost all the famous brands along the street. They are huge stores compared to what I saw in the states. Louis Vuitton, Prada, Salvatore Ferragamo, etc. are all shining along Canton Road in TST. We went to H&M and bought some clothes. After that, we ate in Burger King and head back to the hotel as our legs says stop! And also it is drizzling and we are afraid to get caught up again by the storm. I stayed online to chat with my friends and slept by 2AM. This is just a start of more stormy days to come..

No comments:

Post a Comment