July 7, 2012

Coron Island Hopping


One of the tips I got before going to coron is to bring an underwater camera. So, I bought one in Amazon even though I am not into diving. As told by many, Coron Island is one of the best tourist destinations in the Philippines, so we just can't wait to see the beauty of it. 

Early morning of our day two in Coron, May 18, 2012, we hopped in our boat that will take us to different islands in Coron. We were joined by Drew from US, Linda from Aus, Ronnie from Masbate and the two local tour guides.



Our day started with a trip to Kayangan Lake, the cleanest lake in the Philippines. Before going to the lake, we need to hike on stone and mud built stairs to get to the lake and as usual I am not prepared wearing only slippers but it didn't matter because you can stop anytime you feel tired. This is an instant cardio exercise for me. I suggest you leave the less important things on the boat. While going to the top, I am telling myself that this climb should all be worth it at the end. We took pictures halfway of the climb to see the famous view of the Island and a small cave. It also served as our resting moment before reaching the Lake.




Upon arriving at the lake, I ask the tour guides if is this all of it? I was kinda expecting a bit more. But when I jump for a swim, then it was all worth it. First time to use my camera to take pictures and video of the small fishes underwater. The saltwater is really enchanting and very clear. You can see the cliffs around it. It was just a magical scenery. We were invited to swim to the other side of the lake but we didn't join the group. While Pat is enjoying himself on the deep side of the water, I am just in the side because I am really afraid I can't swim. I think the water is 15feet so I am just holding a bamboo and standing in the rock while snorkeling. I think we stayed there for an hour and half then went back to the boat.









I say Kayangan Lake is a must see and should definitely in Coron itinerary for all tourists. it is a Paradise-like feeling and experience. 

We now move on to the next diving spot. But since drew forgot his original Oakley shades in Kayangan, which he said costs 200USD, we decided to come back. So he hiked again and we waited for him for around 30 minutes. In the end, he didn't succeed and told us that he saw a guy wearing exactly the same shade of his. Then we told him to go back and ask the guy, so together with our tour guide and Atty Ronnie, they rushed to the guy. But still theycan't get the Oakley shades because the guy is claiming that he is a doctor and he is the owner of the shades. Oh well, poor Drew. Going back to island hopping, our next stop which I forgot the name has nothing much, just plain snorkeling while the boat is afloat. Only Linda explored the whatabouts underwater since Drew is still catching his breath. After spending around 10minutes, we felt hungry afterwards, then we decided to have lunch. The tour guides brought our lunch and all for the taking at Banol Beach. We had a very nice lunch - Crabs, Liempo, fried fish with onion and tomatoes. Unfortunately, I am kinda allergic to Crabs so I didn't mind eating one. But the rest, loved it!







After around an hour of eating, we didn't waste anytime and just enjoyed the white sand and clear waters of Banol Beach even though it's around 2pm. Maybe that's why I am still in my tan color as of today. The water is very salty!







I think it was around 3:30pm when we left Banol and went to Skeleton Wreck. Here we saw a Japanese shipwreck underwater. The vessel had been there for more than 60 years. I asked the tour guide to take a picture of it because I can't dive 15ft underwater. There are so many fishes here that at first I am afraid but got used to it except for the sea urchins!







 

After maybe 30minutes, we are off to our last stop - the twin lagoon. The first lagoon was where our boat was docked, while the second one was on the other side. The waters of the lagoon was cold and deep that it was unsafe to bring a camera. Our tour guides advised not to stay too close to the rocks because they are full of sea urchins. I really fear sea urchins. I hate them. So I decided not to go to the other side. I am left in the boat and just enjoyed looking at them and taking pictures. To go on the other side, you must climb up the stairs between the mountain (ih high tide) or if low tide, you can swim beneath the rocks which is too scary. But my companions are just into diving so they decided to go there. When Ronnie, Drew and Linda came back, they said they saw many jelly fish and didn't bother to stay long. I wonder how Pat managed to stay they for almost 30 minutes. He really enjoyed it and wanted to stay longer but we can't. Around 5pm, we decided to go back and finish the trip.








Drew






Going back to town, Pat ate sea urchin. Eew. he said it tastes oyster. I can't believe he just ate around 10 sea urchins!

sea urchin!!!
Oh well, that's it! We just finished the highlight of our Coron Trip. What did it leave me? I can say that I am really not fond of island hopping before, but in Coron, there is just and awe-inspiring factor that just leave me in pure amazement until now. It is really beautiful that's why I feel like going to Halong Bay because they say that it is kinda similar to Coron. Of course, I won't be beck in Coron because of the propeller plane. I just hate it. But yeah, I do recommend Coron for many tourist who likes snorkelling and diving - even those who just want to try something new. I gave Kayangan Lake and Twin Lagoon my two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment