January 29, 2012

Pico De Loro Traverse!

Last January 14-15, we conquered Pico De Loro Traverse Ternate Cavite - Nasugbu Batangas. Oh what can I say? This is my second ever mountain climb. My first one is Mt. Makulot when I was still young, maybe 10 years ago. Because I am always hitting the gym, I am confident to go and try this new venture with my friends.

I have researched about this mountain prior the climb so I was prepared that it would be not easy as Pico de Loro they say it is one of the hardest for beginners. It's around 664 meters above sea level, still not that high but it was really rocky and steep. 

We bought our take out lunch in Jolibee Alabang then rode the jeep going to Cavite. Travel time is approximately 2 hours from Alabang. We then settled our payments, prayed, and quickly briefed by our group leader Ceejay Custodio. Afterwards, we are good to go.


The group started fast. Then after an hour, we settled and took our lunch. Then after the much needed lunch and rest, we started climbing again and after so many "take 5" (5 minutes rest), we then reached our campsite around 2:30pm. It was thankfully a sunny day. We arranged the tents and then rested. 






 

While some of my friends are taking pictures, I took a nap for about 3 hours. It was around 6pm when I woke up refreshed. Because there is no restroom in the mountains, I found it hard to take "wiwi" in the grass. Actually this is my hatest part of the trip. But yeah it is part of the mountain adventure. So it was around 7pm when we took our dinner c/o Ceejay and company. They prepared sisig and rice. Then I went inside the tent again, clean myself, and changed clothes. I am preparing to sleep when Ceejay told that it was time for socials. So we went to the group, took round of shots, then around maybe 10pm, we left the group and sleep. I thought it's gonna be easy but every hour I am waking because of the cold and hard back. Believe me it was really cold. I always change my sleeping position every hour. My only pillow are my 2 extra clothes. But then it was again part of this trip. It was around 8:30 am when I woke up for breakfast. 

 

Then we took pictures and prepared heading to the summit. It was just around 20 minutes of climb to the summit but it was hard. I literally used my bare hands going up. It was really hard. But after reaching the summit, I can't look around since I'm afraid of heights. I was just sitting and still grasping for air to breath. 

 



We stayed there around 20 minutes then it's time to go down. Going down was harder! Some parts we need to use rope for a 6feet jump. Gosh. It was about 3 hours going down. It was like a never-ending road. When we reach the end, I can see ChaTime already haha. I am imagining cold drinks. It was very tiring. My legs are shaking and I am very sweaty that I want to take a shower already.






After the traverse, we went to a beach in Nasugbu but instead of exploring the beach, we rested and waited for the lunch (Bulalo) prepared by Ceejay and friends. We are just talking and bonding while resting. During this time, I really want to go home and rest already. It was around 5pm when we left the beach and we are off to Manila. By this time, I am feeling headache and I can't sleep in the jeep. I had biogesic but still the headache won't go away. It was a 3 hours travel. Finally we are in Alabang. We rode the bus and said our goodbyes. I ate in Andok's in Guadalupe around 10:30pm then finally I'm home. 
After this adventure, I realized one thing - mountain climbing is not for me. Maybe because I am not that fit and of course, I have weak lungs. At least I tried this after a long time. I'm thankful that my friends never left me especially when I'm having a hard time climbing. So I guess I'm gonna pass to the future climbing invitations already.

No comments:

Post a Comment