July 31, 2011

The Long Goodbye to Harry Potter


Now that the Harry Potter franchise is over, let us take a moment of silence and remember everything we've lost.


Voldemort's "No-hug" policy


The resurrection stone


Neville's Baby Fats

Just kidding.

This is what I can say about the last Harry Potter movie.



After watching the last installment of the seven part novel, I must say there were very minor flaws but overall, it was great. Everything from effects, character development, actor performances, etc. The cinematography was superb. The sight of a Hogwarts in ruins was simply breathtaking. Emotions were skillfully built up at just the right moments. Many times, I felt my heart racing as our heroes narrowly escaped death, and found myself tearing up when a beloved character died. All in all I really enjoyed myself. There were multiple times I really had to hold myself together. The Fred and Lupin and Tonks scene was one of those.

I applaud Alan Rickman for his performance in this movie. I think that his performance in this movie was the best out of all his performances in the whole Harry Potter series. He made the audience feel what he was feeling when he saw Lily dead and held her as he was sobbing. The whole thing was just so heartbreaking.



Snape’s death scene was perfection, along with the trio’s reactions to it. They all looked so confused because they were pitying this man who they were so positive was evil. That. Was. Brilliant.

Just one thing, I did not like Ron and Hermione’s kissing scene because the camera angle sucked with Ron’s head covering Hermione’s entire face, pretty much ruining the entire moment.


In my opinion though, the fight scenes were a little held back, they did not give more intensity as they did for the graveyard scene from the Goblet of Fire. Although, I very much enjoyed the McGonogall-Snape duel.


Another scene that I like is seeing the Malfoys struggling to walk across the courtyard to Voldemort. Their storyline didn’t take up a large amount of time, but it was still done beautifully.



The battle scene? Well, as expected.. Voldemort died. Just like that. Nothing special.





But in all fairness it was an amazing movie, I think it just had so much hype that I expected too much.. At two hours, the shortest run time in the series, I actually found the length to be incredibly satisfying. Maybe reading the books will leave me expecting nothing but perfection.

And do I really need to talk about the "19 years later part"..

Seriously.. a movie that has accrued $21 Billion dollars over the years and all they use was a little grey makeup and bad hairstyles. This scene is really funny! I couldn't stop laughing!

Like many of my generation, I grew up with these characters, a loyal fan in the audience. Though these kids are witches and wizards in a fictional world far beyond our own, it’s almost as if they are real people. I learned the importance of loyalty to our friends, and of courage. It also taught us what it means to choose between doing what’s right and taking the easy way out. I learned about fighting for what we believe in and appreciating what we have. It has also helped me to fully appreciate the meaning of love and the power it holds. Along the way in learning the importance of these values and virtues, I made powerful emotional attachments to each and every character that I will never forget. It was seeing how much the main characters who portray them have transformed physically and personally from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone to Part 2 that made me realize just how big of an impact the saga has had on my life. This is why, I am very emotional as of writing this review.

I am so sad that the Harry Potter movies are over.. But the magic will always live on in my heart.. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment