August 4, 2010

RomComs - Now & Then

Of all the movies I’ve seen, I think ROMCOM (romantic comedy) has always been my favorite type of all. Oftentimes, I watch them multiple times in a day or week. I like them for some reason like maybe because of the memorable lines and quotes, or maybe I can relate to some of the scenes, or just to see a happy ending makes me feel good.

Ranking my Top RomCom movies of all time are the following:

My Best Friend’s Wedding, While You Were Sleeping, Serendipity, Notting Hill, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Runaway Bride, Just Like Heaven, Pretty Woman, If Only, Hitch, Down to You, Chasing Liberty, 13 Going on 30, 50 First Dates, Wedding Singer, You’ve Got Mail, and Never Been Kissed.

Since then, only few movies have been very remarkably good to me. Mostly, the plots of RomCom movies today are full of twists that results to vague ending. Some have all star cast that results to unreasonable standards. Still, romcoms present various expectations of love. Happiness! Gift-giving! Mind-reading! Anyway, here are the best RomCom movies I’ve seen since the movies I mentioned above.

#10 - Knocked Up (2007)

Seth Rogen, Katherine Heigl, Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, Jay Baruchel

“Knocked Up really comes alive when it has something to say about the thorny responsibilities and unexpected blessings of adult relationships.”

#9 - I Love You Man (2009)

Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, Rashida Jones, Andy Samberg

“A sweet, quickly told story and very good writing makes it very easy to love I Love You, Man. I love Rudd’s funny and authentic acting.”

#8 - When in Rome (2010)

Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel, Anjelica Huston, Danny DeVito

“The plot is not unique, but the characters pulled it off.”

#7 – Music & Lyrics (2007)

Hugh Grant, Drew Barrymore, Brad Garrett, Kristen Johnston


“Hugh Grant looks old here but opposite Drew Barrymore was a stroke of genius both in terms of chemistry and comedy, as his vulnerability serves as the perfect foil for her foolishness.”

#6 - The Back-Up Plan (2010)

Jennifer Lopez, Alex O'Loughlin, Eric Christian Olsen, Anthony Anderson

“I always loved JLo because of her appeal. The movie is simple but real.”

#5 - The Proposal (2009)

Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson

“There is something about Sandra Bullock’s acting style that makes her very lovable and at home in this territory. My favorite scene is Sandra’s dancing in the wilds.”

#4 - Yes Man (2008)

Jim Carrey, Zooey Deschanel, Bradley Cooper, John Michael Higgins

“I never liked Jim Carrey’s movies and acting until this one.”

#3 - She’s out of my League (2010)

Jay Baruchel, Alice Eve, T.J. Miller, Mike Vogel


“It’s really a surprise why I fell in love with the movie. Baruchel became my instant crush. The movie is a totally acceptable, completely goofy romcom that makes me laugh a fair few times.”

#2 - Love Happens (2009)

Aaron Eckhart, Jennifer Aniston, Dan Fogler, John Carroll Lynch

“I watched this while on the plane going to the states. It’s actually a romcom sentimental drama. I like it for some reason..”

#1 - (500) days of Summer (This is really one of the best ever!)

Zooey Deschanel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Clark Gregg, Minka Kelly

“What can I say? I’ve already blogged this movie before. I talked about its uniqueness and cleverness. I watched it everyday for like three times a day to the point of memorizing the lines and scenes. I think this is a story that most people can probably relate to, unless you are one of those lucky people never to have been on the losing end of the game of love. Why do I love this movie? It’s maybe the soundtrack, the characters, the plot, or the ending? I don’t know. But this is by far for me the best romcom since My Best Friend’s Wedding.”

The not so good RomComs.. The Last Song, The Killers,The Rebound, Valentine’s day, Made of Honor, Leap Year, Hope Floats, He’s Just Not, Dear John, City of Angels, Date Night, Couples Retreat, The Notebook, Jerry McGuire, Sleepless in Seattle, There’s Something About Mary. The Bounty Hunter, It’s Complicated

No comments:

Post a Comment